color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: The Tradition of THE TREE

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Tradition of THE TREE

I am telling the story of the tradition of some Christmas Trees with a very powerful message... over at PBS/Point of View - Regarding War.


In December 1966, a helicopter sat on the deck of an aircraft carrier off the coast of Vietnam with its crew of five on "stand by." These stand-by assignments were really "sit stills" — you had to be in the chopper and ready to fly a CAP (combat air patrol) at a moment's notice. Many times it was eight hours of sitting and waiting, and not flying.

The pilot of the helicopter was a 24-year old lieutenant fresh from the farm fields of Illinois via flight school in Pensacola. His crewmates, some younger, but none much older, sat and stared out at the pitch black trying to make out the shape of the Navy fueler that had pulled alongside earlier in the day, but which now melted into the blackness of the ocean at night. Occasionally, one of the crew would flip on a red-lensed flashlight to check the time. There was little radio traffic through the headsets and all conversations were conducted at a whisper given the EMCOM (emergency communications only) status — the wind rushing by the open side panel of the chopper the most persistent sound.

About midnight, a lone sailor approached and slid an armful of packages and letters across the floor. "Mail call," he whispered, turned and departed. Under the red glow of a flashlight, the parcels were divvied up to their recipients; the largest of the parcels was passed along to the pilot.

I hope you will
stop by and read (it is a true story!!)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1/05/2010 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy Smith,Army Mother
My son ( active since 1992) was injured in Afghanistan, he finished out the deployment,( had done extended in Iraq, served in many countries.prior.) and has,rehabilitation, since been focusing on recovery with TBI, PTSD,(PTSD IS hard to describe, what is different is civillaians are exposed to traumatic events etc..once, maybe a few times in a lifetime...soldiers are exposed repetatively/repeatededl, it's a given they sometimes push aside due to circumstances at hand- the aftershocks are an entire different enigma for lack of the right word). Severe Depression, and a number of things. Temp. non-deployable.
He needs family with him, he is single- lives alone. I have been travelling as much as I can to be with him, and there for him. I live on a low-fixed income due to long term health issues….
I have only been able to fly to be with him ( NC) every 6-8 weeks, ( I am in Upstate NY)…as you can imagine, plane fares have been wiping me out, and causing me to have no money while I am there, let alone during the travel days….like to eat and stuff…..at airports.
Also, I can usually only stay a few days, 5 - 8 so far because I have obligations of sorts and I prefer not to traumatize my 14 year old, 5 and 1/2 pound kitty with all the air travel noise, exposure, etc etc..let alone flying noise, pressurizing of cabin…etc…plus it cist $100.00 each way for even the smallest of pets to be as your carry-on…and “stowed” under seat….
I have no car of my own and am finding it difficult to find way economical car rental, just to drive to NC with, stay as long as I need (kitty with me, loves to ride in car) With my son and help in his recovery, it’s a long, tough road, he needs me there– not just for moral support, but to tell Drs how it’s been for him, how he’s been- that he might forget, to help in his therapy..etc etc…
Is there any assistance for circumstances such as these?
I have been all over the internet, only o have to keep searching, so far, I have found nothing.
I keep hoping the next site will be the one that really helps me do what I need in order to help my wounded soldier.
Cindy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home