color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Movies and Books

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Movies and Books

United 93

We saw the movie “United 93” the other evening. Every American should see it. It should be shown in schools. I think people need to see that film. They need to put a face to jihadists. To the crazy people who are trying to [alternately] rule or destroy the world.

I had an interesting physical response to the movie. Of course, like everyone else, I knew how the story ended. I knew what happened on the plane. But from the minute the film began, my palms were sweaty, my heart raced and I found myself holding my breath at various points in the movie. Tears filled my eyes when the planes hit the WTC and I felt like I did that day in Manhattan waiting for the next plane to hit... the next shoe to drop. I thought, man, if I feel like this early in the film, how the heck am I going to endure the latter scenes that had been described as intense and overwhelming? With my hand firmly wrapped around the hubby's arm and a few deep breaths, I got through it.

If you have hesitated to see the film, I urge you to see it. It is riveting and well done. Yes, it is emotional and intense, but only in its unflinching portrayal of the things that went wrong... and the things that went right. I hope that we have now gotten it all right. As I told my husband, it will never happen again. I don’t think Americans will ever stand for it. If they think they might, then they need to see this movie.

As an aside, after I saw
this story, I’m pretty sure I’m right about Americans never letting it happen again…

Go see “United 93”.
One Drop of Blood, by Thomas Holland
Someone was nice enough to send me a copy of this book. I had mentioned in a blog post or two that I'm a fan of a number of authors that write forensic/coroner type mystery novels.
Holland is the scientific director of the DoD Central Identification Laboratory. CIL is responsible for, among other things, identifying all US war dead from the battlefields old and new around the world. It's a good first effort at drawing the reader into the world of such a daunting task as he tells the mystery of one set of remains from Vietnam and the Arkansas family of the lost soldier. In the process of making my way through this story, I now have a much better understanding of the classification and identification of mitochondrial DNA than I thought possible.
I hope Mr. Holland's next book is the real-life story of identifying the remains he has been called upon to identify at his lab. I'd love to hear the heroes' stories from the lab and from the survivors.
Copyright Some Soldier's Mom 2006. All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 11:20 AM , Blogger Army of Mom said...

Good for you on going to see it. I saw it and blogged about it, too. I had the same kinds of physiological responses that you did. I never would have made it through without my husband.

http://www.armyofmom.com/2006/04/united-93.html

 
At 5/16/2006 9:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it the first week it came out here, unfortuantly i was a bit upset bc happened into the theater the nite the local High school send a class of 50 to watch it, i was completely prepared for the annoyance of school kids seeing as i haven't been out that long & know how they can behave. I was amazed after the first 10 minutes, a room full of teenagers, settled down & u could have heard a pin drop, no sounds of eatting, no whispers, no comments, nothing till the final screen & someone very calming called the terrorists a very bad word & everyone in the room appladed. after that everyone filed out ver quietly, no joking, no rude comments, just very shaken.

 
At 5/17/2006 3:23 AM , Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

I am not so sure about it never happening again. Google Annie Jacobsen and Northwest flight 327 and you will understand why. The complete apathy of her fellow passengers, and head in the sand behavior was scary. However now, about 3 years later, Homeland Security is probing further into that flight. Which is good news.

I look forward to watching the film too...I have heard nothing but good reviews...even here in Germany...;-).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home