color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: A Bone to Pick With Barnes & Noble

Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Bone to Pick With Barnes & Noble

Last night, dear husband and I went off for a round of errands at our local mall. Needed to get some small gifts for our soon to be daughter-in-law and her lovely daughters. Need a dress for the wedding. A local home show to browse through (I really wanted the wood flooring and the newest jacuzzi (sigh)) We also made our pilgrimage through the Barnes & Noble Bookstore. The Hubs likes to browse and I wanted to pick up Home of the Brave.
Since it is a newly released book, I went to the two fairly large "Just Released" tables, but the book wasn't among the 40 or so books displayed on either. So I went to the reference/help desk and asked a college-aged young man who looked the book up, walked me to the "Military History" shelves, and handed me a copy of the book -- shelved at the bottom under the "W" authors.
I said, "I was expecting this to be on the Just Released tables. After all," I continued, "it is a new release." To which he replied in a flippant and somewhat condescending manner, "Welllll, we can't fit all of them up there." To which I immediately and forcefully said (in a quite clearly "I am ticked" voice), "Well, THIS one should be there. It's about the Heroes who are protecting the rights of people to read and write what they want and to keep places like this in business." I didn't wait for a reply, but turned and walked off.
The Hubs and I continued to browse the store for a few more minutes, but I was so piqued by my earlier exchange, I stopped by the reference desk a second time and sought out the store's assistant manager (the store manager not being there on a Saturday evening) and I again voiced my disappointment that a book showcasing the stories of our Heroes while we are still at war is a book that should be front and center in the store. She politely told me that she would relay my request to the store's manager.
As we exited the store, I browsed the display window of the store which contained multiple copies of various newly-released books, but not "Home of the Brave". There was plenty of room to display at least one copy of Weinberger's book. And judging by some of the other crap on the "Just Released" tables, there certainly should have been room for a notable book like it as well.
This was the topic of conversation for the next few minutes between Hubs and me and I decided that with Memorial Day fast approaching, I was going to write a small note to the Barnes & Noble store manager and hand deliver my request that they create a special display of books on the US Military, its Veterans and Heroes in honor of Memorial Day. After all, it is only fitting and appropriate for the reasons I reminded that twit of a clerk: These are the men and women who have fought and continue fighting to this day to preserve our way of life -- including one of our most prized and precious -- our Freedom of speech and expression.
I urge all of you to do the same.
The text of my note is below. Feel free to copy it and use it as your own and deliver it to as many bookstores -- and not just B&N -- in America as you can.
Copyright Some Soldier's Mom 2006. All rights reserved.
To: Manager, Barnes & Noble Bookstore
Recently we were in your store to purchase a copy of the newly-released book "Home of the Brave" by C. Weinberger and W. Hall and were greatly disappointed that the book was not included on the "Just Released" tables in your store. Given that this country is still at war and that this book honors 19 of the most highly decorated soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have fought in this War on Terror, it seems to us that this book should be prominently displayed in your store. After all, these are the stories of the men and women fighting to protect the rights of people to read and write what they wish and to keep places like your bookstore in business.
We would also like to request that, in light of Memorial Day's fast approach, you develop a display of books that herald and tell the stories of the U.S. military and the brave men and women whose love for America compelled them to serve and continues to compel them to defend freedom each day (with a nod to the dedication from "Home of the Brave").
Sincerely,

12 Comments:

At 5/21/2006 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to head to my B&N this week to see where this book is placed . . . thanks for the note about this book!
-Heidi

 
At 5/21/2006 2:23 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

I too will head to B&N this week. That will give me something to do since the boss will be headed out of the country for two weeks. I will need something to keep my mind occupied. What better way than to annoy a few book stores.

 
At 5/21/2006 4:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your post at Milblogs. Sometimes you can simply pick a couple of copies from the back shelf, then walk up and place them on the front table. Usually no one will notice.

 
At 5/21/2006 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And, just in time for Memorial day... Natalie Maines opens her big mouth yet again...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-05-21-dixie-chicks_x.htm?csp=27

 
At 5/21/2006 8:36 PM , Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

seems as if The Hilton and Barnes and Noble need better publicists...

 
At 5/22/2006 6:10 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

Hubs is on vacation this week...maybe I'll send him to the bookstore to buy our copies; if he has to look around for it, he'll not be pleased. :) B&N would probably step to if they knew what were good for them. :)

 
At 5/22/2006 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have paid to see you give the clerk an earful, I can picture it now though...

 
At 5/23/2006 7:35 AM , Blogger barb pfister said...

I think you have a great idea and I hope this gets through to everybody. Some times I think they tend to forget the very reason we have have our freedom.

 
At 5/23/2006 11:48 AM , Blogger sher said...

Try Walden Books.... they are more patriotic! I suppose Barnes and Noble is getting too big for their politically correct britches to remember the soldiers!

I hate that place with all the yuppies drinking coffee in John Lennon type glasses trying to look self important reading books about things to help them pretend they have personal experience living life and the pretentious clerks working for 10 yrs on a 4 yr college degree.... (Ok, I just seriously went off...lol!)

 
At 5/23/2006 8:00 PM , Blogger kbug said...

Great job, I'll head to my local bookstore to see if it's displayed the way it should be.

 
At 5/24/2007 12:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure everyone who worked there laughed at your letter! it was not your place to yell at the employee or the assistant manager- neither of them have control over what is displayed. that's ignorance on your part.


next time go to borders!

 
At 5/24/2007 2:58 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

dear anonymous... I'm sure they did laugh at the letter for they have proven themselves to be as unpatriotic a business as I have come upon recently. and, yes, as a matter of fact, the asst. mgr DID tell me that he and tghe "staff" choose the "just released" items -- but that they didn't have room for them all -- but the left wing content of the table certainly reflected the "under 21" "I only listen to the MSM" crowd... so you show your ignorance... and I didn't "yell" at anyone... but a good dressing down is in order -- thanks for the reminder (5/24/07)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home