color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Single Digit Midgets...

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Single Digit Midgets...

So Noah's LT landed in the U.S. today along with a few other soldiers from his Fire Team (Noah did not get to actually see the LT or the SGT 'cause he was driving a few Ft Stewart soldiers home who accidentally got placed on the Ft Benning plane -- hey, it's the U.S. wherever they land!) This is the LT that was the recipient of Melinda's 18 DOZEN out-of-this-world homemade chocolate chip cookies... So WELCOME HOME, LT JW and SGT J and the other Able Co. Guys!
Here's a little video of one of today's homecomings...
And here's some accounts of homecomings from a private 3ID message board...
The parents of this young soldier Brian live across the country and could not be there to welcome their son, so one of the soldier's spouses -- who has never met the parents or the soldier -- went to the plane IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT to be sure someone was there...
S -- I know you know but...HE' S HOME !!!!! K was there for Brian.. Standing on a chair screaming LOUD & CLEAR !!!! Brian was so excited to have someone there for him... then he asked WHO ARE YOU?? lol... She went with L... I might be a bit off on here as I don't think I'm completley awake... the main thing... he's home... SAFE AND SOUND ! K wants me to let everyone know... if you have a soldier coming in and you can't be there... let her know and she will be there for you !!!! ok now its back to bed for this ol' gal !!!!! WELCOME HOME BRIAN!!!! many many hugs and kisses & thanks to you both !!!!
and here was his Dad's response
I can tell you now that K is one stand up lady in my book!! J. and I are so appreciative that K was there for Brian... K called me this morning at four fifteen our time which is three hours behind the east coast. I got up at two-thirty which was five-thirty on the east waiting to hear. K you are the best! I appreciate your willingness and sacrifice to go and meet someone you never knew. I also want to thank D for getting in contact with you, as both of you are tops with me. I could write a book of how I feel and knowing my son is out of harms way now it is like someone just let the air out of a balloon. I feel tired now and I am sure Brian is also exhausted. I guess I better get off of here and call Brian's granddad and uncles or they will hang me. Again K, you are top kick in my book and I so much appreciate you for being there for Brian.
Here's another... this wife's husband is due home later in the month but she goes to as many homecomings as she can just to be sure everyone has someone....
I went to the 3:15 homecoming today...

what a sight! the news was there... so cool!
Hi-lites: one gal tried to run across the field in heels, finally kicking them off, when she reached her man, she just dove at him and wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist, all in a dress, it left no doubt that the fruit of the loom guys were still at her house LMAO! nice thigh high hose though!... she remained that way across the field... the jaws of life could not have pried her loose! oh it was exciting to see... nobody cared how they looked or what was seen when it came time to grab their soldier, including me... I was just happy to see so many happy faces!!!!
I got to see my friend Mike... I had him paged and he was happy someone was there to give him a hug!
now the thing that got to me the most was there was a soldier there with a cane... his group returned today... he showed me his injury and talked of being lucky to be alive and the pain of leaving his band of brothers... it is hard and yet comforting to see a soldier cry... I watched as he sought out each and every one of them and the relief on their faces that he was ok, too was just priceless... that is love at it's finest...something I will never forget!
And this from a soldier's wife T who went with her baby son N... and "R" is one of the other wives that T met on this support site...
I walked into the gym with N. and started crying, like a big goober. Then I sat down, then the band came, then I saw R and yelled, "R!" Then the guy talked, then he said that they were on Ft. Stewart. The whole time my legs were bouncing up and down. Then they came in, and I couldn't find him. Then the guy said that we could get them... R kept N and I took off, in a sea of DCU's... I couldn't find him, then I heard my name T... so I turned around and he was THERE!!! The world stopped for a long time, it was so right. Then R brought N to us, who was crying for his DADDY. He looked up at S with those eyes and went RIGHT TO HIM. It was terrific. Then R and S met, and we left, loaded the car, had to come to the house to get something for one of my soldiers and went to McDonald's and now he's showering... it was so great!! I will remember it forever. Thanks so much everyone, this was a great day/night.

There is no closer family than the families of those deployed...

And we're still counting down for the rest of Our Guys... but they are into the single digits or really close (we think -- since we don't have an actual comfirmation of their dates -- that's against OpSec)... but the Brigade Commander S. said the plan was to have every one of the Brigade home by about mid-month... and you know the Army never changes its mind or changes plans or planes... but DANG it's close!
Even with Noah home, seems I'm still waiting on that phone call that starts, "Hey, Ma!"
Copyright 2006. All rights reserved.

8 Comments:

At 1/03/2006 6:02 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

What a wonderful story. Those ladies are sweethearts to do that for someone they don't know, but yet they really do. I wish Noah could have been there for the guys. It will be great to have them all home once and for all.

I have had Christmas at my house tonight. A long lost huge black box arrived from Iraq today, so we have had a blast going through it. Lots and lots of goodies for me. I will definately have to post pictures.

Thanks for sharing the story with us.

 
At 1/03/2006 6:23 PM , Blogger Maggie Goff said...

Well, as usual when reading one of your posts, here I am with tears streaming....what really touched me was the soldier with the cane...God bless you all.

 
At 1/04/2006 5:41 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks so much for keeping us updated on their progress. I've been praying that these homecomings are swift & safe ones!!

 
At 1/04/2006 6:59 AM , Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

ahhh a sigh of relief.......

more men home, and prayers to those who have no one to greet.

 
At 1/04/2006 12:31 PM , Blogger AFSister said...

I LOVE IT!
I JUST LOVE IT!
YES... I'M YELLING IN ALL CAPS, BECAUSE I'M *THAT* HAPPY!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful account of the homecoming. I love the one of the wife in the dress and heels who kicked them off and ran.

 
At 1/04/2006 1:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhh thanks so much for posting the comments off the 3rd site...I cry with joy for each call I have gotten and relive each moment from that July day in 03 when I watched as my son came thru the doors at Kelly Hill....the homecomings are something that you will never forget...I'm proud of each our soldiers and wish them all a speedy return home...Welcome Home 3rd ID...and God speed to all our troops ..Until They All Come Home

 
At 1/04/2006 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, great stories. Warms the heart. Congratulations on your well-deserved win, by the way.

 
At 1/04/2006 3:44 PM , Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Glad they are all back and with their families.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home